Thursday 20 October 2016

Weekly Write Up: Skype Etiquette and Upcoming Guest Star

So last week we released one of more "internet culture"-based sketches, focusing on how people interact on Skype, as well as how people probably don't interact on Skype. If you haven't seen it, it can be found here:



I hope this is a sketch people can identify with. We have been toying for a while with the idea of doing a sketch base d around a phonecall, but we felt there was more that could be done with Skype due to the character s  being able to interact visually. I also think there is something funny about characters speaking over video but still treating it as if it's over the phone, hence the joke about being on hold. I always imagine when I am put on hold the person I am speaking to is just having a break from talking to me to do something more interesting for a few minutes. To be honest, I wish we could introduce a face to face variant (actually, I've remembered that we already have smart phones).


It's probably also telling that at the moment I spend a lot of time dealing with external phonecalls, and that may have influenced the topic of needlessly bad customer service. I also know that if I were to encounter anything like that I would respond exactly how Ryan's character does and go along with it out of politeness, as I would sooner suffer in silence that challenge someone. Britishness for the win.


The ending was an example of "hmm, this sketch doesn't have a particularly funny ending". We often joke about how incongruous some of our sketch endings are, and whilst this isn't the worst offender I'd probably put it in the top 5. The most ridiculous by far is in "Subliminal Swearing":


Coming up this Friday we have a very exciting special guest star. I can't really say more without giving away too much of the sketch, but let's just say it'll change your entire perception of WMD this far.


- Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment